OFDb

Hostel (von Eli Roth) ... Eurotrip trifft Miike

Begonnen von StS, 27 Juli 2005, 17:54:21

⏪ vorheriges - nächstes ⏩

StS

Hostel

Von Eli Roth ("Cabin Fever")

Zitat"I wanted to sneak in another down and dirty ultra-violent horror film, one that would be very different from 'Cabin Fever,' both in tone and scale. This film is going to be much, much scarier and more complex. I wanted to make a Takashi Miike-style horror film, like 'Audition.' Screen Gems has already picked it up for distribution and KNB will of course be doing the make up FX."

Hier eine frühe Kritik, die viel versprechend klingt:

ZitatNOTE: This is the uncut, unfinished version of the film. It was not color corrected, it had a temp score and the FX was incomplete. There is still a lot of work to be done and it could be cut down depending on what the MPAA rates the film.

It's amazing how much has changed in the past two years; I now live in California, I have a fantastic girlfriend, I'm balding, our website is slammin' etc. It has also been two years since Eli Roth released his first feature film Cabin Fever (three if you count festivals)- how much has changed in his life, and even more so how much has his talent grown? Right off the bat I'm going to tell you that I didn't love Cabin Fever, but I felt that Eli had so much potential- but soon after the screenings of 2001 Maniacs, a dark cloud started to surround Eli's future and buzz filled the air with rumors that Eli wasn't what he was all cracked up to be. But let me tell you that his second feature film Hostel, while not perfect, is a strong step in the correct direction and a still a fuckin' hoot of a good time!

The film follows a trio of friends who are backpacking across Europe checking out all of the sites. Paxton (Jay Hernandez) is the cool motivational friend, who wants to have a good time and always knows what to say; Josh (Derek Richardson) is the geeky friend who if he could pull the rod out of his ass could get some sweet Euro-tail; and Oli (Eythor Gudjonsson) is their Polish friend whom they met on the trip, who is now tagging along with them- he's a freaky, and yet fun, nutjob. As they head through their various tourist spots they come across a 'pimp' who tells them of this place that's filled with hot women just aching to get boned- it's a teenagers Toys R Us, only it's FREE! Only when this trio gets there they find out they're in for much more than lots and lots of boobies.

Hostel can be separated into two categories: comedy and horror-thriller. The movie begins like a low budget spin-off of Eurotrip and then evolves into a high budget Takashi Miike film. I had a good time and laughed at a few jokes building up through the first 45 minutes, but kept asking myself "what the hell is going on?" and "why do I care?" But once you find yourself cringing (in a good way) through the second half, you understand that a lot of the early segments in the film where set-ups for extremely juicy pay-offs. There's a joke about the children in the town and how they'll kick your ass for some bubble gum, which ends up being one of the highlights of the film. My only gripe is that sometime Eli's humor doesn't quite fit into the movie; it's a little too much for such a dark film and can really pull you out of the moment. I wish he'd mix the comedy with the horror better instead of feeding us just one or the other. Although towards the end of the movie, when we are finally told what's going on, we get to see how much fun Eli can be. Although I can't go into details, this climatic sequence is not only funny, but disturbing at the same time. But what truly made it special is that the joke wasn't forced like they normally feel from Eli, it was extremely organic and only made the finale that much better- this was easily my favorite part of the entire movie.

But what everyone is dying to know is it really as disgusting, brutal and violent as we're being led to believe? First off, I'll be shocked if the MPAA doesn't slap this with an NC-17 rating (I pray they don't). Second off Hostel is truly special because it's not the gore that makes it good, it's the suspense. I'm so sick of directors saying "throw in more blood and focus in on the ripped off head- now that's going to make this movie good," because that's NOT TRUE. A film needs to be taken to Dead Alive levels to even get us to remotely care about gore at this point in our Grand Theft Auto-filled lives. Eli not only gives us some shocking and gruesome moments but he takes the time to step back and make the movie suspenseful and involving. At times I found myself (along with numerous others) screaming at the screen and jolting to the side in disgust. The only film I can compare scenes from this to would be the infamous Texas Chainsaw Massacre in the fact that sometimes showing less can be so much more. To explain Hostel's violence in one sentence I'd say it's "suspenseful, but not quite brutal," but I still found myself biting my knuckle quite a few times.

But the irony of Hostel is in the fact that Eli says he was inspired by Takashi Miike and Japanese shock cinema, and yet some of the scenes shot were eerily similar to James Wan's Saw. I'm not being negative in any way, I love the way Saw was shot and I thought that the scenes in Hostel's dungeons were beautifully executed. These sequences showed the many flashes of brilliance from Eli. Even though some of the movie was phenomenal, other parts were quite amateur- and I'm not exactly sure how much of that is Eli's fault (you decide). There's a scene at a club/bar early on in the movie that was easily the worst shot of the film. Eli tries to pull of the 'cool (steadicam) walk through' shot: as the camera pulls into the bar it cuts through various (terrible) dancers as they just so happen to walk out of the way as the camera comes through. The dance floor is basically empty and the shot looks terrible. After I saw this sequence I said to myself, "oh no, another hour of this?" My guess is that it looked bad because of how empty the club was- hopefully this scene will get a little chopping in the editing room down the line.

Just like Eli's directing style, the acting in the film was at times was uncanny. Jay Hernandez was fantastic and really carried the movie on his shoulders. He was convincing and showed heart throughout. The same can be said about Derek Richardson and Eythor Gudjonsson who were also tremendous in their supporting roles. But the real gold of Hostel was Jan Vlasak, who played a business man on a trip to the same place. He took the role of the main villain (even though he might not quite be the real bad guy) and creeped me out on a level only Hannibal Lector could do. I think it's safe to say he truly rounded out this film and made it a perfect little gem for Sony (who should be proud to own this flick).

Overall Eli Roth's second film Hostel is a vast improvement on Cabin Fever for one major reason: he learned what suspense was and executed it to perfection. Had Eli created a little suspense in Cabin, I only wonder how good that movie might have been. If you're looking for a film that'll make your goosebumps rise, make you gnaw on your lip and definitely have you covering your eyes- then Hostel is for you. I can't wait to see the finished version of this film with a completed score and FX. Hostel is Eli Roth's statement to all of the people who doubted him- "I'm here to stay."

Reviewed by: Mr. Disgusting
"Diane, last night I dreamt I was eating a large,  tasteless gumdrop and awoke to discover I was chewing one of my foam disposable earplugs.
Perhaps  I should consider moderating my nighttime coffee consumption...."
(Agent Dale B.Cooper - "Twin Peaks")

StS

Inzwischen mit dem Label "Quentin Tarantino presents" versehen, hier der erste Teaser zu einem der heiß-erwartetsten Genre-Filme der nächsten Zeit:

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/hostelqt1.html
"Diane, last night I dreamt I was eating a large,  tasteless gumdrop and awoke to discover I was chewing one of my foam disposable earplugs.

blade41

Der Trailer rockt (wenn ich das mal so sagen darf. :icon_cool:). Der Film wird sicher einer der Highlights des nächsten Jahres.

Lionelinho

Vielversprechender Trailer. Der Soundtrack erinnert etwas an Saw. Ich bin gespannt..

bill is killed

sehr geiler Trailer ich freu mich schon auf den Film!!! :dodo:

Hana-Bi

Sehr geil. Nicht nur der Soundtrack erinnert an Saw. Ich hoffe mal das der Film die Kinos rocken wird. Ich hoffe er hat aus den Fehlern von Cabin Fever gelernt und streicht diesesmal den Humor.

StS

Zitat von: Hana-Bi am 27 Oktober 2005, 18:26:35
Ich hoffe mal das der Film die Kinos rocken wird. Ich hoffe er hat aus den Fehlern von Cabin Fever gelernt und streicht diesesmal den Humor.

Zumindest in der ersten Filmhälfte, wo es primär um den Eurotrip geht, denke ich eher nicht...

Hana-Bi

Würde es jemanden was ausmachen einen faulen Menschen das mal kurz auf deutsch zu übersetzen. Was genau ist mit dem Euro Trip gemeint :dummstell:

Roughale

Zitat von: Hana-Bi am 28 Oktober 2005, 00:39:00
Würde es jemanden was ausmachen einen faulen Menschen das mal kurz auf deutsch zu übersetzen. Was genau ist mit dem Euro Trip gemeint :dummstell:

Damit ist wohl der Trip der Amibengel nach Europa gemeint und dass sich da Eli Roth austoben könnte, warten wir es ab, be Cabin Fever hat mich das nicht gestört, der Kontrast machte den Film für mich besonders sehenswert, nicht jedermanns Sache, weiss ich...

esta es la mejor mota
When there is no more room for talent OK will make another UFC

StS

http://www.hostelfilm.com

Bei CF fand ich die Humor/Horror Kombi ebenfalls sehr gelungen - natürlich nur in der OV!

Die Erklärung eines "Eurotrips" kommt übrigens hin ... in der o.g. Kritik wird auch auf die Komödien-Elemente eingegangen.

ZitatHostel can be separated into two categories: comedy and horror-thriller. The movie begins like a low budget spin-off of Eurotrip and then evolves into a high budget Takashi Miike film. I had a good time and laughed at a few jokes building up through the first 45 minutes, but kept asking myself "what the hell is going on?" and "why do I care?" But once you find yourself cringing (in a good way) through the second half, you understand that a lot of the early segments in the film where set-ups for extremely juicy pay-offs.

blade41

Der US-Start von "Hostel" wurde leider nach hinten verschoben. =(

Lions Gate Films has decided to move Eli Roth's Hostel once again- this time it's moved from its Christmas December 21st date to a nice Valentine's Day February 3rd date. The new date seems like a more logical move as Spring time horror has been doing quite well for years now. Relentlessly graphic and deeply disturbing, the film is sure to shock even the most hardcore horror genre fans. HOSTEL tells the story of two American college buddies Paxton and Josh who backpack through Europe eager to make hazy travel memories with new friend Oli, an Icelander they’ve met along the way. Paxton, Josh, and Oli are eventually lured by a fellow traveler to what’s described as a nirvana for American backpackers – a particular hostel in an out-of-the-way Slovakian town stocked with Eastern European women as desperate as they are gorgeous. The two friends arrive and soon easily pair off with exotic beauties Natalya and Svetlana. In fact, too easily… Initially distracted by the good time they’re having, the two friends quickly find themselves trapped in an increasingly sinister situation that they will discover is as wide and as deep as the darkest, sickest recess of human nature itself – if they survive.

Quelle: Bloody-Disgusting

Hoffe mal das sich bald ein deutscher Verleih den Film annimmt und einen deutschen Termin bekannt gibt. Der wenn der Film erst im Februar läuft kommt die DVD sicher nicht vor Sommer und soooo lange will ich nicht warten.  :icon_confused:  :icon_wink:

StS

StS

Believe it, 'Hostel' Changes Dates Again!

No joke, Lions Gate Films has once again changed the date for Eli Roth's Hostel (review #1, #2), which by my estimations has been shifted more times in one month than any film in history (I wouldnt be shocked). The new move will take the film from a nice Friday the 13th date in January to January 6th. It's all fine and dandy that they moved it, but can they please just pick a friggin' date and stick with it?! but in the end, no matter when you see it, you're in for a great time. Click the title above for the poster, trailer links and tons of pics from the pic, which stars Jay Hernandez, Derek Richardson, Eythor Gudjonsson, Barbara Nedeljakova, Jana Kaderabkova, Jan Vlasák, Jennifer Lim, Lubomir Silhavecky, Paula Wild, Lubomir Bukovy, Petr Janis, Jana Havlickova and Vanessa Jungova.
(Bloody Disgusting)

blade41

HeHe. Finde Lions Gate sollte den Kinorelease canceln und ihn gleich als Unrated-DVD bringen :icon_wink:

StS

Captain Oi

Wasn das für ein bekackter Untertitel?
Versuche nicht zu kotzen  :doof: :doof: :doof:

Bin jedenfalls auch schon sehr gespannt auf den Film. "Cabin Fever" fand ich wie bereits öfters erwähnt absolut herausragend.

Captain Oi :dodo:

blade41

Glaub nicht das es ein offizielles Poster ist.

Cyman

Zitat von: blade41 am 27 November 2005, 18:46:08
Glaub nicht das es ein offizielles Poster ist.

Denke ich auch nicht.
Was soll eigentlich der dämliche Untertitel? "VERSUCHE NICHT ZU KOTZEN - ZUR WEICHNACHTSZEIT INS KINO"
WEICHnachtszeit?

Cheers, Cyman

EvilEd84

Wie geil ist das denn?

Die Bildergallerie ich kann nur sagen :dodo: :icon_eek: :icon_twisted:

Ich zähle schon  jetzt die Tage bis zum 6. Jan....also wenn das mal nicht der Hammer in Tüten ist: wie geil ist der Killer denn bitte? DAS ist für mich der optimale dreckige Backwood Killer in Person: eine Mischung aus Phlippe Nahon in Haute Tension und Leatherface himself!! :dodo:

MPAA

Ich sehe dem Film noch skeptisch gegenüber, auch wenn der Trailer sehr interessant ist.

Gruss MPAA

blade41

Naja. Ich denke das uns Roth einen schön sicken Film präsentieren wird :icon_mrgreen:

StS

- das Poster ist offiziell

- ein deutscher Trailer ist online ... bloody good stuff !!!
http://www.diehostel.de/

Graf Zahl

StS

Zitat von: Graf Zahl am 29 November 2005, 10:47:42

Öhm, Link geht irgendwie nich?
Hmmm ... stimmt - jetzt geht er (gerade?) nicht. Muß man mal beobachtren...
War auf jeden Fall ein kurzer, harter deutscher Trailer. Hier der Text von "Bloody Disgusting"dazu:

ZitatYesterday we pointed you in the direction of a truly disturbing German poster for Lions Gate Films' upcoming Hostel, which featured a man having a drill shoved down his throat (see it here). What we missed out on was that at the official website, you can watch a bloody and disgusting trailer for the film, which should really get you pumped for the release on January 6th. Written & Directed by Eli Roth, Presented by Quentin Tarantino, 'Hostel' is a mixture of many of the most terrifying things about human nature and the world at large, culled from many impossible-but-true stories of human trafficking, international organized crime, and sex tourism. Relentlessly graphic and deeply disturbing, the film is sure to shock even the most hardcore horror genre fans

McHolsten

Der Trailer wurde auch nicht FSK geprüft; seltsam alles.
Gore on!

schlitzauge23

Will den Trailer sehen :anime: :icon_biggrin:

EvilEd84

Glaub mir, der Trailer ist das derbste was ich in der gesamten letzten Zeit gesehen habe  :icon_eek: kann nur beten, dass der uncut kommt!!

schlitzauge23

Ja, Danke! Mach mich ruhig noch mehr fertig :icon_sad: :icon_mad:

McHolsten

Wartet doch erstmal ab. In den Staaten startet er ja erst am 6.1., wird dann in aller Wahrscheinlichkeit ein R-Rating haben und "die" Fassung die man sehen will kommt eh erst später. Werden sicher ein paar mehr Sekunden fehlen als wie bei "Saw". Und das ist einer der Filme die ich mir sicher nicht als abgefilmten Screener ansehen will...
Gore on!

blade41

Zitat von: McHolsten am 29 November 2005, 15:40:07
Wartet doch erstmal ab. In den Staaten startet er ja erst am 6.1., wird dann in aller Wahrscheinlichkeit ein R-Rating haben und "die" Fassung die man sehen will kommt eh erst später. Werden sicher ein paar mehr Sekunden fehlen als wie bei "Saw". Und das ist einer der Filme die ich mir sicher nicht als abgefilmten Screener ansehen will...

Die Kinofassung wird nicht aller wahrscheinlichkeit ein R tragen, sondern hat es schon:

Rated R for Brutal Scenes of Torture and Violence, strong sexual content, language and drug use.

Die R-Rated Fassung soll auch garnicht mal so stark beschnitten sein.

TinyPortal 2.0.0 © 2005-2020