OFDb

The Host (Gwoemul)

Begonnen von Dexter, 27 Juli 2006, 17:59:02

⏪ vorheriges - nächstes ⏩

Dexter

Der Film soll in Südkorea an den Kinokassen gerade mächtig abräumen.

http://german.imdb.com/title/tt0468492

koreanischer Teaser (mit engl. UT)
http://www.cineclickasia.com/newsletter/news2006/nhost_320X240_300k.wmv

japanischer Teaser
http://www.guemuru.com/trailer/guemurutoku_large.mov

Trailer
http://cdn.ninen.co.kr/email/mon_31/img/mon_700k.wmv

Clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oi_kjMNmfw

Nach den ersten Berichten soll der Film sehr gut sein, die USA greifen schon nach den Rechten für ein Remake :icon_twisted:

Mr. Krabbelfisch

Ui, vom "Memories of murder" Macher...interressant. Da werd ich mal nach der DVD ausschau halten.^^
"Our games are not designed for young people. If you're a parent and buy one of our games for your child you're a terrible parent.
We design games for adults because we're adults." - Lazlow Jones (Developer Red Dead Redemption)

Cratefruit

Wurde ja in Cannes sehr gelobt. O-Ton einer dt. Zeitungsredakteurin, interviewt von arte: "Da konnte man mal schön seinen Frust raußlassen, über das langweilige Programm dieses Jahr..." (Sie hatte sich den Regisseur extra auf die Hand geschreiben, konnte es aber dann nicht mehr lesen :D) Und die Ausschnitte, die sie dann zeigten, waren auch schon sehr witzig...

donbatikan

Steht ein deutsches Release date schon fest?

Mr. Krabbelfisch

Steht afaik noch nicht mal nen Korea DVD release fest.
"Our games are not designed for young people. If you're a parent and buy one of our games for your child you're a terrible parent.
We design games for adults because we're adults." - Lazlow Jones (Developer Red Dead Redemption)

donbatikan

Schade,
Werd mir den Film aber auf jeden Fall mal notieren.
Die Korea-Disc muss dann wohl herhalten, wenn
die rauskommt. :)

Liina

Oder Du musst einen kleinen Abstecher nach Frankreich machen: ;-)

Konnte man heute auf Hancinema.net lesen:

Director Bong Joon-ho's new movie The Host is drawing global attention.

The movie that was highly praised by critics at Cannes Film Festival in May has been invited to the 39th SITGES International Film Festival of Catalonia, the 31st Toronto International Film Festival and the Edinburgh International Film Festival.

Hong Kong and Vancouver film festivals slated for August and September have also followed suit.

The film will soon be shown in Hong Kong, Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, Singapore and France. The U.S., Britain, Mexico and Australia will release the flick later this year.

Reported by KBS WORLD Radio

donbatikan

Hab zwar seit heute Ferien, aber einen  Abstecher nach Frankreich kann ich mir nicht leisten.
Da kauf ich mir lieber ein paar DVD's von dem Geld.  :icon_mrgreen:
Bis die Korea DVD draußen ist, kann ich sicher noch warten. :)

Dexter

Zitat[...]Released over 620 screens nationwide (all time record), the film sold 449,500 tickets on its opening day. This is the best opening of all time in Korea, beating Taegukgi's 324,000 in 2004. [...]
Producers Cheongeorahm even said theater chains are trying to get MORE prints, so the total screens will move to 650 by this Weekend.
http://www.twitchfilm.net
:icon_mrgreen:

Conqueror

Previews waren doch mies. - Versteh die Aufregung um den Film nicht.

donbatikan

Zitat von: Dexter am 27 Juli 2006, 17:59:02
Der Film soll in Südkorea an den Kinokassen gerade mächtig abräumen.

Sollte einiges klären ;)

Dexter

Zitat von: Conqueror am 15 August 2006, 21:32:22
Previews waren doch mies. - Versteh die Aufregung um den Film nicht.
Die ich gelesen habe waren eigentlich ganz gut, auf der IMDb hat er auch schon 8,3/10 bei über 100 Bewertungen

Zitat"Korean Movie 'The Host' Received Well
By Paolo Bertolin

CANNES: "The Host'' is a real masterpiece and Bong Joon-ho is one of the greatest directors in the world. That is how Olivier Père, the director of the Cannes Film Festival selection Quinzaine des Realisateurs (Directors' Fortnight), introduced director Bong at his meeting with the audience, right after a triumphal screening of his film.
``The Host'' (Korean title Goemul, i.e. Monster) was by far the most eagerly awaited film selected at Quinzaine, and the two sole screenings, a midnight show on Sunday and an afternoon presentation on Monday, both played to a full house, leaving a large number of critics and people outside. In a festival that reserved more than a few burning disappointments, especially from ambitious Hollywood fare (such as curtain-raiser ``The Da Vinci Code'' or competing entries like Sofia Coppola's ``Marie Antoinette'' or Richard Kelly's ``Southland Tales''), Bong's follow-up to international cult hit ``Memories of Murder'' was one of the few works that met the high expectations of the press and audience.

``As a director, I always try to break the conventions and rules of genre, as I myself as a viewer have mixed feelings about genre movies: I love them, but at the same I hate them because of their predictable conventions,'' declared Bong on his approach towards filmmaking. His third feature film is no exception to that pattern. As Derek Elley from Variety observed, ``On almost every level, there's never quite been a monster movie like `The Host'.''

Hugely satisfying and entertaining, Bong's film centres on the fight of the Park family to rescue its youngest member, Hyeon-seo, who has been kidnapped by a mutant monster emerging from the waters of the Han River in Seoul. However the film detaches itself from being a mere horror movie as burlesque and drama aptly contaminate the formula. ``Egregiously subverting its own genre while still delivering shocks at a pure genre level, and marbled with straight-faced character humour that constantly throws the viewer off-balance,'' epitomizes Elley, ``The Host is a bold game that looks headed to instant cult status.''

``The slapstick comedy elements in my film contribute to giving rhythm, but perhaps they also provide a more realistic side to the whole story,'' commented Bong on the genre-bending of his film, adding ``Slapstick humour in my films is never intended in the first place, as some gags just come out naturally, during the shooting.'' The French left-wing newspaper Liberation stressed this remarkable feature of Bong's style, as Didier Peron wrote, ``Contrary to Hollywood productions, the film allows itself relevant stylistic deviations and does not forcibly search for a happy ending.''

``In `The Host' I have worked mostly with actors with whom I had already worked in previous movies, such as Song Gang-ho, Park Hae-il and Bae Doo-na,'' said Bong on his cast, ``therefore, it was easier to share with them my ideas: when I was writing the script, I already thought of whom would play the roles; on set we had grown a strong relationship, with just one look they knew what I wanted, and vice versa.'' Song's mature performance drew special praise. ``He's the only contemporary Korean actor capable of playing with such conviction a character who seems to be permanently on the verge between ordinariness and slightly retarded.''

The full-blown achievements of The Host triggered praising comparisons, such as Isabelle Regnier's of the leading French newspaper Le Monde: ``Its author displays a brilliant critique of the contemporary epoch with inventiveness and exuberance that remind those of Kubrick's ``Doctor Strangelove.'''

``When I make a movie I never really calculate whether it is commercial or artistic,'' asserted Bong when asked about his ability to bridge mainstream formulas and creativity, ``to me there is no distinction between the two categories, I just try to make movies that I would like to watch as a spectator.''

The response in Cannes proved that Bong's method works, and might be taken as good premonition for The Host's commercial and critical future. Concluding his review on Screen Daily, Allan Hunter even conjectured that ``Someone is bound to consider 'The Host' as remake potential for a wider Western audience.'' In the meantime, the Korean release of Bong's film is scheduled for July, while international sales proceed at a brisk pace.

___________________________________________________________________________________

The Host

It's hard to write about Bong Joon-ho's The Host (the original Korean title is "Creature") without making puns on the word "monster." The temptation arises not only because of the subject matter, but because everything about the film -- its scale, its budget, its record-breaking performance at the box office, its overseas potential -- is huge within the context of the local film industry. It is a monster movie -- about a truck-sized mutant that crawls out of the Han River and unleashes terror upon the citizens of Seoul -- and yet, it is not one. Part of The Host's appeal is that its core concerns are somewhat slippery, and hard to pinpoint.

You could just as well call The Host a family movie. Hee-bong (Byun Hee-bong) is the owner of a small food stand in the Han River Citizen's Park, selling squid, candy and beer to people who have come out to enjoy the sun. Gang-du (Song Kang-ho) is one of his three children, a man who seems a bit slow mentally and whose one motivating strength is a devotion to his schoolage daughter Hyun-seo (Ko Ah-sung). Rounding out the family is Nam-joo (Bae Doona), an amateur competitive archer and her brother Nam-il (Park Hae-il), a former student radical who at present is drunk and unemployed. There are no mothers in the family -- Hee-bong's wife having passed on and Gang-du's having run away. It's a dysfunctional group, held together only by the crisis that faces them, and yet the family dynamics will feel familiar to many viewers.

It is when the creature snatches the young Hyun-seo that the family becomes aligned against this unknown biological threat. However, in what is perhaps a telling reflection of our times, the family ends up spending more time battling health professionals, military personnel, and other manifestations of the government than the beast itself. The Host mixes more than a few political barbs into its genre cocktail: a bit of SARS here, a bit of Iraq there. Yet it's with a black sense of playfulness and absurdity that these satirical quips are delivered to the audience, suggesting that the film's chief concerns lie elsewhere.

The monster itself is not a force of pre-meditated evil, bent on destroying civilization. (In this sense it is more Katrina than 9/11) Like any other natural disaster, this clever, ugly, lethal, clumsy, and at times ridiculous monster does what it does simply because it is part of its nature. It eats humans because it is hungry, and because it enjoys it. So in some ways it's hard to see The Host as a contest between good and evil. From a moral sense (if not an emotional one) the film resembles wildlife videos of lions taking down gazelles.

Yet in the course of the showdown with the beast, there's a very human sense of loneliness that seeps into the film. Part of it comes from the realization that, in a crisis, one's country may be of no help -- or indeed, may turn against you. A disaster that rips through the fabric of society may reveal that the laws, conventions and beliefs that keep us civilized lie only on the surface. Perhaps the other source of the film's sadness is reflected in a startling line delivered by Byun Hee-bong at the story's mid-point: "Have you ever smelled it? The stomach of a parent who's lost a child... Once it goes rotten, the smell can travel for miles..." The family unit at the center of The Host faces the prospect of losing a girl who is dearer to them than anything else, and this too pushes them up against the cruel, arbitrary forces that determine who lives or dies.

For me, The Host will not displace Memories of Murder as my favorite Korean film of this decade. Every scene of the latter work is golden, and the more you watch it, the more it resonates as a haunting, brilliantly-shaped composition. The Host is more of a spectacle film, a sensual burst of inspiration that picks us up and carries us along on a harrowing ride (this must be seen in the theater if at all possible). It is perhaps unfair to expect Bong to come up aces two films in a row; but it is surprising is that he came so close to doing just that. (Darcy Paquet)

The Host is a film that had been talked about a lot during its production and the teasers and posters I'd seen to date had gotten me pretty interested. So when it was announced for the Edinburgh International Film Festival this year I had to go and see it.

I have to say I was more than impressed with what I saw. The Host is a film that provides something of everything from suspense to terror, from drama to a little touch of comedy, this film has it all. What's more surprising is that it delivers all of them very well and provides great entertainment on the way.

TheHost_Poster.jpgThe opening of the film is perhaps one of the strongest I've seen. Starting with introductions to some of the main characters we instantly get a feel for who they are and what they are about, all the time with a healthy amount of humour. The first appearance of the creature is viewed quite satirically, or rather the peoples attitude and "car crash" mentality is.

Then when it races through a busy park attacking people, it's probably the best portrayal of group blind panic I've seen, and coupled with some excellent edge of your seat and distressing scenes. The shot of the girl standing in shock is one of the most disturbing scenes you'll witness, it's not something you'd expect to happen in a typical film and it's indicative of scenes to come.

Throughout the film you'll be toyed with, there are the usual straightforward scares, and one so effective I leapt out of my seat. There are also moments like the opening one at the park, where the unexpected happens and you really do get a surprise at the direction the story has just taken.

There are other similar incredibly strong moments that will hit you with a shock, and they seem out of place and going against what you believe should be happening. I felt myself looking at the screen in surprise thinking "That's not fair!", and that's a great response to illicit.

The frequent humour is an aspect of the story that is really well handled, it never detracts from other areas of the story, and often helps to relax a tense or distressing moment in order for the filmmakers to return to the situation and build it up again. Sneaky devils.

One of the oddest moments is when the family are mourning wildly in the school hall, this begins sadly and slowly, building in your uncomfortableness and sadness. Then something strange happens, they just manage to tip the performance into humour, just enough to lighten the situation and raise a few sniggers. Then photographers and film crews descend and we're presented with an interesting social commentary, yet you're still feeling the humour of the moment and just coming out from the sadness of the family. It's all wonderfully woven together.

The leads are good, particularly the young girl, Park Hyun-seo played by Ah-sung Ko, who is very convincing and strong in character. At times the emotions she shows are so natural and believable, you'll find yourself caught up in her scenes.

The other characters continually walk that fine line between comedic and serious performances. Each of them have their flaws which are shown throughout the film, but in the end each get their chance to redeem themselves and sometimes they get multiple chances, often they need them too.

That raises another interesting aspect, instead of following a standard route with the characters, their development follows the unusual turns of the film itself and we're treated to surprises and failures when we don't really expect them. Indeed you could almost say that these characters are more human than many fully focussed dramatic character based films.

The creature effects in this film are quite superb. It has weight and a natural, organic movement. So often CGI creatures will appear to run over the ground or not properly interact and collide with real life objects, here though every effort has been made to address this, and it works superbly.

I don't believe I'm spoiling anything about the movie when I say that the ending seems slightly flat against the amount of entertainment that the rest of the film has managed to deliver. It wraps everything up incredibly neatly, with each character having had their shot at redemption. Yet it was a little too neatly tied up for me, although it didn't detract from anything else the film gave.

I'd recommend this film even for those not interested in Asian Horror, for this can't be classed alongside what you would expect from a typical Asian Horror, indeed there's not even a lot of horror. This is a suspenseful, thriller, drama, comedy, you're getting the idea. It's great entertainment with some brilliant moments of shock and terror. Well worth watching.

Conqueror

Mir previews meinte ich die visuellen, Trailers & Stuff. Konnten mich nicht vom Hocker reissen. - Naja, es kommt ja noch der Korea Horror Sommer.

Dexter

Newendyke

Zitat von: Conqueror am 15 August 2006, 22:15:57
Mir previews meinte ich die visuellen, Trailers & Stuff. Konnten mich nicht vom Hocker reissen. - Naja, es kommt ja noch der Korea Horror Sommer.

DAs ging mir jetzt auch grad durch den Kopf... also an dem Monster müssen se wirklich noch arbeiten, sonst bin ich schon fast gezwungen ihn unterbewusst mit der Thai-Gurke Garuda zu vergleichen!!!

"Ich will jetzt nichts mehr hören, von wegen keinen Job, kein Auto, keine Freundin, keine Zukunft und keinen Schwanz." (der Meister - Gran Torino)

Dexter

Die Hong Kong DVD wird vermutlich am 1.Dezember erscheinen
http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/section-videos/code-k/pid-1004526358/

Die Korea DVD sollte also früher oder zeitgleich rauskommen.

Dexter

UK Trailer 20 Mb
http://greenroom-press.com/clients/Optimum%20Releasing/theatrical/the_host/the_host_hi.mov

StS

"Diane, last night I dreamt I was eating a large,  tasteless gumdrop and awoke to discover I was chewing one of my foam disposable earplugs.
Perhaps  I should consider moderating my nighttime coffee consumption...."
(Agent Dale B.Cooper - "Twin Peaks")

StS

"Diane, last night I dreamt I was eating a large,  tasteless gumdrop and awoke to discover I was chewing one of my foam disposable earplugs.
Perhaps  I should consider moderating my nighttime coffee consumption...."
(Agent Dale B.Cooper - "Twin Peaks")

Ming

MFA haben die Rechte für Deutschland gekauft und wollen den Film nächstes Jahr sogar ins Kino bringen.

Dexter

The Host : Special Limited Edition (3Disc+OST CD) :icon_smile:
http://www.dvdfromkorea.com/shop/p_detail.asp?idx=4807&location=Coming%20Soon&genre=

Dexter

Bild des 3 Disc Standard Set

Bild des 3 Disc + OST Limited Edition

Ming

Laut Asian Film Web, wird The Host ab 15.03.07 ins Kino kommen.

MD-KrAuSeR

ich fand the Host echt lahm. Man denkt immer, gleich..gleich...gleich geht es los...aber es passiert einfach so gut wie nix.

********Mini-Spoiler***************

ist irgentwie nicht glaubhaft, dass das Militär so unfähig ist, dass sich 3 Heckenpenner auf die Jagd nach dem Vieh machen müssen. Und das nervt im Film tierisch.

**********Mini-Spoiler ende *********

McKenzie

Ein wirklich herrausragendes Werk das mein Misstrauen gegenüber der kreativen Eigenständigkeit des koreanischen Kinos noch weiter zurückgedrängt hat! :respekt:

Hier mein Review:

http://www.ofdb.de/view.php?page=review&fid=102749&rid=236416
ZitatPunctuality is the thief of time
- Oscar Wilde
ZitatOne problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues.
- Elizabeth Taylor

Mr. Hankey

4 April 2007, 10:17:24 #25 Letzte Bearbeitung: 4 April 2007, 10:21:45 von Mr. Hankey
ZitatEin wirklich herrausragendes Werk
Also bei allem was recht ist. Herausragendes ist bei dem Streifen nun wirklich nichts. Gutes Mittelmaß, mit durchaus interessanten Ideen, aber "Herausragend"? Na ja. :icon_confused:

Übrigens ein kleiner Insider-Tipp: Im Filmthread auf seine eigene Review in der Ofdb hinzuweisen, wird nicht wirklich gerne gesehen! Mach das lieber in deinem Autoren-Thread! ;)
Ofdb-Filmsammlung
Aus visueller Sicht, das vielleicht beste BD-Erlebnis ever: Klick

McKenzie

Zitat von: Mr. Hankey am  4 April 2007, 10:17:24
Übrigens ein kleiner Insider-Tipp: Im Filmthread auf seine eigene Review in der Ofdb hinzuweisen, wird nicht wirklich gerne gesehen! Mach das lieber in deinem Autoren-Thread! ;)

Danke für den Hinweis! ;) Aber nachdem der Streifen bisher so schändlich geschmäht wurde konnte ich mir nicht verkneifen, ein gutes Wort für ihn einzulegen!

Wir führen die Diskussion dann in meinem Thread weiter... :icon_mrgreen:
ZitatPunctuality is the thief of time
- Oscar Wilde
ZitatOne problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues.
- Elizabeth Taylor

Klugscheisser

So,

habe den Film gestern im Kino gesehen und muss sagen: Ich wurde bestens unterhalten!
Das Monster rockt, die Spezial-Effekte überzeugten und auch die verschiedenen Elemente (Humor & Tragik) fand ich sehr gut im Film verknüpft und eigentlich keineswegs störend.

Auch waren für mich die politischen Seitenhiebe gegen die USA (ganz klar gegen die US oder gar das Militär an sich; oder dass, immer wenn jemand stirbt, eigentlich nur der einzige involvierte Amerikaner im Fernsehen gezeigt wird) , sowie einige in Bezug auf das Land selbst, gut integriert und wirkten nicht aufgesetzt oder zu sehr mit dem Holzhammer vorgetragen.
Man muss sich wohl mit dem Land Südekorea bzw. seiner Geschichte etwas auskennen, um noch weitere Aspekte zu verstehen. Die Zusammensetzung der Familie, z. B. keine Mütter vorhanden oder die "Zusammenarbeit" der drei Geschwister mit dem Obdachlosen, um das Vieh zu erledigen, war wohl nicht zufällig so gewählt.

Alles in allem ein gelungener Kinoabend für mich und es war auch mal angenehm, nicht nach jeder Aktion der Protagonisten einen knochentrockenen One-Liner zu hören.

Erfrischend anders!

psychopaul

tja, verrücktes Asien-Kino in Reinkultur.  :icon_eek:  :D

den Ansatz, einen Monsterfilm fast komplett aus der Perspektive der Familie zu zeigen und die üblichen Klischees und Militär-Bekämpfungs-Schnickschnack auszublenden finde ich erstmal absolut genial.
die (teils ja eh zum schreien) komischen Elemente schaden dem Film aber doch ziemlich, somit wird es halt abgedreht bis zum Geht nicht mehr und der Film eher zum unterhaltsamen Kuriosum als zu dem anspruchsvoll-ansprechenden Gesellschaftsdrama im Actionmantel, das er werden hätte können und das ich lieber gesehen hätte. Vielleicht wäre es auch noch schöner geworden, wenn das Monster selbst nicht auch die reinste Karikatur gewesen wäre..
ein bisserl weniger wäre wohl noch viel mehr gewesen (die übertriebene Szene in der Leichenhalle z.b. schießt entweder übers Ziel hinaus oder macht deutlich, dass der Film absichtlich und selbst für Koreaner  ;) halb Parodie, halb anspruchsvoll sein soll)

dennoch hat es sehr viel Spaß gemacht, ein wildes Potpourri aus für sich genommen ganz tollen Szenen (vor allem diese lakonischen Angriffe auf das bzw. Leben mit dem Monster waren für mich grandios und Kritik wie der Film wäre zu lang oder zu langwierig oder finde nicht den Rhythmus finde ich total unangebracht, denn gerade diese asiatische Ruhe und Gelassenheit in Verbindung mit der Monsterthematik ist geradezu fantastisch)

von mir gibt es für dieses unkonventionelle und stets unterhaltsame Kinoerlebnis knappe 8 Punkte; auch wenn der Film auch in meinen Augen noch viel mehr Potential verschenkt und Schwächen hat, bleibt er doch einer der eigenwilligsten, erfrischend anderen und innovativen Filme des Kinojahres (und der Wiederanschauungswert ist in meinen Augen aufgrund vieler gelungener Szenen auch gegeben).
Filmblog
Letzte Bewertungen

Three little devils jumped over the wall...

Mr. Krabbelfisch

Es kommt wohl auch ein zweiter Teil zu The Host, Bong Joon-ho ist allerdings nicht mehr Regisseur.
Hab ich vor kurzem auf Hancinema.net gelesen, find jetzt aber die Meldung nicht mehr.

TinyPortal 2.0.0 © 2005-2020